“That is essentially the most divine, indulgent and impossible to resist pud,” says Prue Leith.
“Don’t skimp at the cream or jam. Higher forgo it altogether than attempt to make it wholesome!
“It’s easiest made with ripe recent apricots. If the usage of canned fruit, roast them anyway – it’ll deepen their flavour.”
Apricots, almonds and clotted cream on English muffin
2 huge apricots, or 3 small ones
40g butter, part of it melted
2 tsp caster sugar
1 English muffin, break up and toasted
2 tbsp apricot jam
1 tbsp flaked almonds, toasted
1 small pot of clotted cream
1. Get the grill as scorching as conceivable.
2. Halve the apricots, take away the stones and put the halves, stoned aspect up, on a grill tray. Brush them with the melted butter and sprinkle with the sugar.
3. Grill the apricots, no longer too just about the weather or gasoline flame, for 8 to ten mins till brown spherical the sides.
4. In the meantime, butter the toasted muffin halves and put them on heat plates. Unfold them with apricot jam and proportion the apricot halves between them.
5. Sprinkle with the almonds and serve with clotted cream.
Tip: You’ll toast the flaked almonds within the oven beneath the grill tray concurrently roasting the apricots, however they burn in a flash, so watch out. More secure, most likely, to face over them whilst you gently flip them in a frying pan, or toast for 3 mins within the microwave, giving them a stir midway.
Rooster tikka with yoghurt on naan
“Rooster tikka has lengthy been probably the most UK’s maximum beloved flavours and makes a super sandwich, pitta or wrap,” says Leith. “However that is what it used to be born for – to devour with scorching naan or chapati.”
100ml simple yogurt
Juice of ½ lemon
1 tbsp tikka paste
4 uncooked skinless and boneless rooster thighs
Oil for the tray
2 small naans, or chapatis
Butter for spreading
½ gentle purple chilli, finely chopped
A couple of mint or coriander leaves (or each)
Sea salt flakes and freshly flooring black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 240C/fan 220C/gasoline mark 9.
2. Combine the yogurt, lemon juice and tikka paste in combination and reserve part of it for later. Flip the rooster thighs in the remaining and unfold them out on an oiled baking tray. Roast for roughly 35 mins till brown and cooked via (a skewer must float throughout the flesh simply). Slice every thigh into 3.
3. Heat the naans or chapatis in short within the microwave or toaster and unfold with butter.
4. Pile the rooster directly to the breads, seasoning with a bit salt and pepper. Most sensible with a dollop of the reserved yogurt, the chilli and herbs.
Tomatoes with English pesto on toasted focaccia
“I feel I favor this English model of pesto even to the vintage Italian basil one. It’s lighter and extra flexible,” says Leith. “It’s excellent with pasta, on pizza, or simply as flavouring for salad dressing, or certainly to serve with grilled rooster or lamb chops.”
2 squares of focaccia
4-6 large slices of ripe tomato
For the pesto:
30g bunch of parsley
1 garlic clove, beaten
30g cheddar cheese, finely grated
75ml rapeseed oil
Salt and freshly flooring black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gasoline mark 6. Put the walnuts on a baking tray and into the new oven for 5 mins to toast. Or toast them within the microwave for 5 mins, giving them a stir midway via.
2. Chop the stalks of the parsley, that have numerous flavour you don’t wish to waste, with a pointy knife. (Cutting within the system can lead to stringy bits – higher to start out through hand.) Put them, the parsley leaves and garlic right into a blender and chop in short.
3. Then upload the Cheddar and walnuts and mix once more. At this level, it is important to upload the oil to loosen the paste. When the whole thing is in, blitz to a smooth-ish sauce and season with salt and pepper.
4. Toast or grill the focaccia items to heat them via, then unfold with the pesto and overlap the tomato slices on most sensible.
Tip: The pesto will stay for a few weeks within the refrigerator if saved in a jar with a bit extra oil on most sensible to stay the air out. However it’ll lose its sensible color, unfortunately. To make it vegan, use vegan Cheddar or every other exhausting vegan cheese.
‘Bliss On Toast’ through Prue Leith (revealed through Bloomsbury, £14.99; images through Haarala Hamilton), to be had now.